Friday, July 27, 2012

Quilt # 4

This quilt was a fun quilt to make.  I made this for my niece before she was born.  The fabrics are all very soft and snuggly flannels.  The prints on the darker fabrics are all from Winnie the Pooh.  Some of the light ones are also from Winnie the Pooh, but not all of them. 

Quilt_4-1

I was still learning at this point and I ended up only tying this quilt versus actually quilting it.  Part of the reason I also did that was that I used two layers of polyester batting.  At the time, I was big into using the polyester batting because they have such a high loft.  Now that I'm doing more quilting and have learned the differences between the materials for batting, I definitely prefer using the thinner cotton batting.

Quilt_4-2

I really liked the backing on this quilt, too.  The picture below shows the edge of it turned over so you can see the backing.  It was also flannel.  Its all one piece, even though it looks like it has multiple squares in it.  The print on it just made it look like it was quilted.  There's all sorts of "happy" colors on the back and its accented by stars with smiling faces on them.  This quilt was perfect for a child.

Quilt_4-3

I think the best part about this quilt is that my niece absolutely loves it.  She still uses it in the winter time (too hot for summer use) and she won't go to sleep without the quilt that "Aunt Sarah" made for her.  Its just the right size for her bed even though she's now 4 years old.  When she graduates to a standard-sized bed (probably a twin), I will make another quilt for her then.

Happy Crafting!
~Sarah at upstateNYCreations

No comments:

Post a Comment