Friday, April 5, 2013

Patience is the Name of the Game

There are times when I am the most impatient person in the world.  Standing in line at the store.... waiting for quilting fabric to arrive :-) ...

But then there are also the times when I can't believe I have the patience to do the things that I do.  I've done cross-stitch since I was about 14 or 15.  I got into it when my older sister (11 years older) was doing it and showed me the great pictures she was working on.  It also happened to be that I picked it up during summer break one year when it was rainy and dreary the entire summer.  I needed SOMETHING to do!

My latest project is a picture of Monet's Water Lilies (at least one of them).  I've been working on it for over a year now and the early prediction was that it would take 6 years to complete!  Yikes!  I need to get moving some more on it to make sure I keep up at the 6 year pace as I've been falling behind.

Here's what it looked like on February 9th:

IMG_2058

And here it is as of yesterday (April 4th):

IMG_2145

There's definite progress being made, but not nearly as fast as I would like.  I'm trying to hold off on doing the blue for the bridge until I get more of the green done.  On the back, the threads cross over the unstitched areas, so the blue stitches will help anchor the longer thread lengths across the back.  I try not to make the traveling spaces too large, but I also don't want to start and stop a million times.  So sometimes I'll also take a few extra loops on the back to help anchor the longer travel lengths. 

I'll have to take a picture of the back sometime.  My husband said he was tempted to ask me to make one of these twice so that we could frame them next to each other... one with the front showing and one with the back showing.  Sometimes the backs are as much a piece of art as the fronts!


Happy Crafting!
~Sarah at upstateNYCreations

No comments:

Post a Comment