Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Slow Stitching

About 2 weeks ago, I picked up another project (not that I needed another one).  This one is a free BOM from Morning Glory Designs.  This BOM is originally designed for machine applique, but I decided to try my hand at doing it with needle-turn applique.  Here's the block all traced out on my background fabric.



This is an "old" method, but new to me.  Basically, you put trace out your design on the back of your background piece and then use a thick thread to baste your fabric in place.  Then as you do your needle turn, you clip the threads and turn under your seam allowance.  The perforations from the thread are supposed to make it easier for the fabric to turn....we'll see about that. ;-)


The center portion of the block is completely turned now and I just have to do the pieces on the edge.  The perforations don't work as well as I thought they would, but that may be because I'm using a thicker fabric for the appliques.


Overall, I do like how its turning out so far and I'm learning as I go as to what works and doesn't work for turning under the edges.  Its all about practice!

Happy Crafting!
~Sarah at upstateNYCreations

1 comment:

  1. I have heard of back basting over the years but have never tried it. It really does look accurate - I see from the photos that you draw your design on the back of the fabric - interesting I might have to give it a try on my Love Entwined quilt when I get back to it.

    ReplyDelete