Saturday, January 25, 2014

Quilt #13 - Sweet Dreams

It definitely seems like everything comes in waves.... weddings.... babies.... graduations....

In 2009, a lot of our friends and co-workers were having children, so I ended up making a lot of baby quilts that year.  I still make baby quilts for folks, but only for those that we really know well and are true friends... not just acquaintances.

I don't have any pictures of the piecing on this quilt, but as you can tell from the semi-quilted pictures, it was a pretty simple design.  Its similar to an Irish chain design, but I put some bright yellow stars in the middle of the cross points.  I wanted something to liven it up even though I was using blues for a baby boy.



For the border quilting, I had two cookie cutters that I traced around for shapes of stars and moons.  The stitching between them was completely freehand.  Its not great quilting, but it was simple and perfect for a child.




Here's the completed quilt after washing it.  I used white thread for the stitching so the quilting does stand out pretty well against the dark blue fabrics.




Presentation time!  :c)  I always try to packing up the quilts in a nice way for the new owners to see it for the first time.  Sometimes I will try to highlight specific areas of the quilt by folding it a certain way.  It took me a while to get this such that the star was centered in the "square" of the folds.




Unfortunately, I no longer work with this individual, but we still keep in touch occasionally.  They loved the quilt and the baby used it for a long time as a play mat and then as a secondary blanket on their bed.  Apparently the boy wouldn't go anywhere without it, so it also went on many car rides. 

Its always nice to find out that the quilt was loved and the child really liked it.  :c)

Happy Crafting!
~Sarah at upstateNYCreations

No comments:

Post a Comment