Saturday, August 24, 2013

Not Much Quilting this Week

Not a whole lot went on this week in terms of quilting or sewing of any kind.  Last week we were on vacation and decided to do some yard work.  While spreading some wood chips along our driveway, we noticed a vine climbing up a nice cherry tree.  So we decided to take said vine down.... like we've done 100 times before.

Just our luck... this particular vine was a mix of just standard vine and poison ivy vine!  :-(  My husband was only slightly affected by the poison ivy and only got a few red spots from it.  I on the other hand... full blown allergic reaction.

It took a few days for the rash to develop, but after about 4-5 days of exposure, my entire right arm from halfway between by wrist and elbow to halfway between my elbow and shoulder was completely covered with a red rash and hives.  I also had the rash on my left arm, side and chest, but at least it wasn't as bad in those areas.  The right arm was definitely "ground zero".

I ended up going to the doctor for a script for prednisone to stop the reaction my skin was having.  Its now more than a week after exposure and the reaction is finally starting to slow down.  I still have a very yucky and sensitive red rash on my arm, but the hives are definitely smaller. 

So unfortunately, I didn't get a lot of sewing or quilting in this week.  I spent most of my time reading with an ice pack on my arm to help calm down the reaction and make the itching stop.

Note to others...make sure you check those vines before you start ripping them out to make sure there's no poison ivy or other yucky plants in there!  :-)

Happy Crafting!
~Sarah at upstateNYCreations

1 comment:

  1. that sounds horrible. With all the time we have lived in the country surrounded by trees and vines of all sorts I have never had a reaction to poison ivy - but husband has and he has had to be treated as you are. I watch out for it so carefully I never want to the rash you have. Hope it goes away soon! it is not fun he was always miserable - lucky he really watches for it now and hasn't had it in years.

    ReplyDelete