In April 2008, I started my first really large quilt. At this point, I had already made about a half dozen smaller quilts. I knew if I tried to make a Queen+ sized quilt right off the bat, I would probably get discouraged by the process. I'm definitely glad I made those smaller quilts first, because this one took a while.
Here's the fabric I used for the quilt. I still have quite a bit of the green laying around.
By the time July rolled around (some 3 months later), I was finally getting to the point of getting blocks made. I had quite a bit of trouble with the triangle pieces and they didn't really want to come out right. To this day, I still don't understand why I had so many problems with them.
I finally got the finished top together by the end of October. Making all the pieced blocks and the pieced border took a long time. Just the sheer volume of sewn pieces was mind-numbing at times.
Overall, the quilt turned out exactly like I had planned. I had designed this quilt completely on graph paper and without any nice little programs like Electric Quilt. Man! I would have loved to have that program back then. :-)
Since there was absolutely no way I was going to be able to quilt this monster myself, off to the quilter in December. I made sure to give her lots of time and told her it was NOT a Christmas gift and that she could push it to January or February of 2009.
Here is is, back from the quilter. She did a lovely free-hand design that mimicked the music notes in the white fabric. In each of the center blocks, she quilted a different music note or symbol.
Here's the quilt on our bed. It is definitely big enough to fall over the sides and cover the pillows.
I'm really happy with this quilt and would definitely make it again if I needed to.
~Sarah at upstateNYCreations