Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Quilt #7 - The BIG One!

In April 2008, I started my first really large quilt.  At this point, I had already made about a half dozen smaller quilts.  I knew if I tried to make a Queen+ sized quilt right off the bat, I would probably get discouraged by the process.  I'm definitely glad I made those smaller quilts first, because this one took a while.

Here's the fabric I used for the quilt.  I still have quite a bit of the green laying around.


Quilt_7-1


By the time July rolled around (some 3 months later), I was finally getting to the point of getting blocks made.  I had quite a bit of trouble with the triangle pieces and they didn't really want to come out right.  To this day, I still don't understand why I had so many problems with them.

Quilt_7-2


I finally got the finished top together by the end of October.  Making all the pieced blocks and the pieced border took a long time.  Just the sheer volume of sewn pieces was mind-numbing at times.

Quilt_7-3


Overall, the quilt turned out exactly like I had planned.  I had designed this quilt completely on graph paper and without any nice little programs like Electric Quilt.  Man! I would have loved to have that program back then. :-)

Quilt_7-4


Since there was absolutely no way I was going to be able to quilt this monster myself, off to the quilter in December.  I made sure to give her lots of time and told her it was NOT a Christmas gift and that she could push it to January or February of 2009.

Here is is, back from the quilter.  She did a lovely free-hand design that mimicked the music notes in the white fabric.  In each of the center blocks, she quilted a different music note or symbol.

Quilt_7-5


Here's the quilt on our bed.  It is definitely big enough to fall over the sides and cover the pillows.

Quilt_7-6


I'm really happy with this quilt and would definitely make it again if I needed to.

Happy Crafting!
~Sarah at upstateNYCreations

No comments:

Post a Comment