Since I didn't have any distinct plans for it, it took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do with it. In the end I decided to do some 9-patches since they were simple. Here's all the fabric cut into squares and ready for sewing:
My mess of pieces as I was sewing them into sets for the 9-patches. :-)
.... and the finished 9-patches.
As I started laying out the quilt, I decided to put them all on-point. This is the first quilt I did on-point, which really wasn't that hard, but it made me learn how to do those setting triangles on the edges.
To this day, I still don't understand what I was thinking with the border choice. I think I was going for a "picture frame" look where you have a wooden frame around something colorful in the middle. At times, I'm tempted to take the binding off the quilt and just trim it shorter so the borders are gone....but that would put more work and time into this, so I haven't done it.
I challenged myself with the quilting a bit. I marked this feather wreath in all the big white squares and used my free-motion foot to quilt them. The rest of the quilt was stitched in the ditch to stabilize everything.
Here's the overall quilt. The binding is leftover scraps from the strips used to make the 9-patches.
Its definitely not one of my finer creations, but I was still pretty new to the quilt-making hobby. I have it in my sewing room hanging over a quilt rack to remind of the good choices I can make (the quilting and the 9-patches themselves) and also the bad (the ugly brown border!).
~Sarah at upstateNYCreations