Monday, November 18, 2013

Quilt #11 - Rainbow 9-Patch

A few years ago I was in the mode of buying just about any fabric that I could get my hands on...especially when it was on sale!  I ended up purchasing a fat quart pack off eBay.  The fabric ended up being not exactly what I wanted, but the colors were bright and the fabric quality was pretty decent.


Quilt-11_a

Since I didn't have any distinct plans for it, it took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do with it.  In the end I decided to do some 9-patches since they were simple.  Here's all the fabric cut into squares and ready for sewing:

Quilt-11_b

My mess of pieces as I was sewing them into sets for the 9-patches.  :-)

Quilt-11_c

.... and the finished 9-patches.

Quilt-11_d

As I started laying out the quilt, I decided to put them all on-point.  This is the first quilt I did on-point, which really wasn't that hard, but it made me learn how to do those setting triangles on the edges.

Quilt-11_e

To this day, I still don't understand what I was thinking with the border choice.  I think I was going for a "picture frame" look where you have a wooden frame around something colorful in the middle.  At times, I'm tempted to take the binding off the quilt and just trim it shorter so the borders are gone....but that would put more work and time into this, so I haven't done it. 

Quilt-11_f

I challenged myself with the quilting a bit.  I marked this feather wreath in all the big white squares and used my free-motion foot to quilt them.  The rest of the quilt was stitched in the ditch to stabilize everything.

Quilt-11_g

Here's the overall quilt.  The binding is leftover scraps from the strips used to make the 9-patches.

Quilt-11_h

Its definitely not one of my finer creations, but I was still pretty new to the quilt-making hobby.  I have it in my sewing room hanging over a quilt rack to remind of the good choices I can make (the quilting and the 9-patches themselves) and also the bad (the ugly brown border!). 


Happy Crafting!
~Sarah at upstateNYCreations

1 comment:

  1. I have a lot of fabric too that I bought because it was on sale or because I won it and it didn't quite look like I thought it was going. Now to figure out what to make with it and sometimes the 9 patch is the best thing to do -- I love on point but unless the setting triangles are figured out for me I have a hard time with them although I finally found a little book that has the info in it so that helps me a lot.!

    ReplyDelete