I finished up the hand-sewing a few weeks ago and finally got it layered with the batting and backing. He's a cute little guy and turned out fairly well for my first more complicated design.
Some of the pieces (like the black bands on the mittens and scarf) were appliqued onto the full mitts and scarf before adding to the larger piece. Some of the pieces I "cheated" and glue basted the seams down before trying to applique them. After getting about halfway done with the piece, I stopped doing that and just did pure needle-turn applique (no glue basting the seams.
I hope to get this little guy quilted in the next few weeks. They suggested hand-quilting, which I have never done, but I may just give it a whirl on this piece.
~Sarah at upstateNYCreations