Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Mariner's Compass Update

After I finished the last big quilt for the wall hanging (a Lone Star quilt), I picked out the pattern for the next wall quilt to go in our foyer.  I purchased the fabric a while ago, but only really started piecing in the last week or so.


IMG_2413


Here's some of the fabrics cut and ready for sewing.  Since I'm doing paper-piecing, I cut the pieces with 1/2" seam allowance instead of the typical 1/4".  This way I'll have enough fabric for turning when I do the paper piecing.

IMG_2463

The center yellow triangles were a little tricky since the seam is actually a curved seam.  Afterwards I thought it may have been easier just to cut the pieces to the exact size and sew a standard curved seam. 

IMG_2474

In-process pictures of pinning the over-sized pieces to the paper templates.

IMG_2476


IMG_2475

And here is the finished center triangles.  After I got this far, I also trimmed the curved seam at the outer edge to be the standard 1/4" seam allowance.

IMG_2473

I was able to get all of the middle-triangles done with the yellow/green and white fabrics.

IMG_2477

Next step is to add all the larger red and blue triangles that I'm using.

IMG_2478

In the end, the quilt should look something like this:

Mariner's Compass Quilt Top


Happy Crafting!
~Sarah at upstateNYCreations

1 comment:

  1. beautiful! I wouldn't want to paper piece though especially with curved seams - I would be hand stitching for sure :)

    ReplyDelete